Yamuna Body Rolling®
What is Yamuna® Body Rolling ?
Yamuna® Body Rolling (YBR) is a completely original fitness and therapy practice that was created by Yamuna Zake in NYC. YBR combines healing, wellness, and injury prevention in a single, simple workout. YBR heals body problems as it helps you get in shape. Its revolutionary approach to health and fitness uses small balls designed specifically for this practice. It is a combination of massage, fitness and chiropractic rolled into one. It heals and releases restrictions in the muscles, stimulates bone, and frees up energetic pathways.
In YBR we use different size balls to target specific muscles. Laying on the ball, the student is instructed how to follow the length of the muscle along the bone from its origin to the insertion point. This allows the muscle to release to its full length. This is different from foam rolling, as it allows the ball to move with the contours of the body, fully sinking into tight muscles to find that release. We use the breath to come into a relaxed state, which also helps the muscle release. We use the core to hold and support the body as we roll. Focus on form and alignment completes the work, and relaxation comes from the release of tension held in muscles of the body. This creates an overall sense of freedom and space in the body that will leave you feeling relaxed and wonderful! You will let go of tension you did not even realize you were holding.
Benefits of YBR:
- Help increase bone density due to YBR's weight bearing properties.
- Use to target specific muscle groups and allow joints to become freer and increase range of motion, reducing restrictions and pain. Excellent for tight hamstrings, joint pain, hip replacement, knee replacement, or shoulder pain.
- Ease chronic muscle soreness from stress and tension you carry in your body. YBR stimulates circulation and blood flow like a massage or acupuncture session. Not only does it affect the fascia and muscles, but it also stimulates the bones. It has wonderful effects in releasing the old patterns of tension we hold in our bodies. Releasing these held patterns of restriction in the body will allow the skeletal structure to fall into its natural alignment.
YBR Class Guidelines
- Wear comfortable clothing that is easy to move in. Avoid baggy clothing, as it may make it difficult to roll with loose clothing getting wrapped up in the ball.
- YBR is best done on an empty stomach, avoid eating right before class. If you must eat, a light snack up to 45 minutes prior to class is best.
- YBR is done in bare feet or socks, no shoes worn in class.
- We will provide all balls, mats and props for use in class. Balls are available for purchase at the studio to use for your own home practice.